[Sca-cooks] A question pardon if it has been asked

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 18 12:51:00 PST 2008

--On Friday, January 18, 2008 3:41 PM -0500 Amy Cooper
<amy.s.cooper at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have a heck of a lot of experience redacting. I *think* I get the
> gist of the recipe (making a sort of roux-thickened lobster sauce to put
> into the bread bowls), but what is meant by Piece of Tape? And is it
> saying to deep-fry the taped bowls?

It's probably a sort of string -- perhaps something like bias tape. The OED
has Tape: 1. a. A narrow woven strip of stout linen, cotton, silk, or other
textile, used as a string for tying garments, and for other purposes for
which flat strings are suited, also for measuring lines, etc.
dating to 1000

So, yup either deep frying or pan frying with the tape on to keep the roll
together.

toodles, margaret