[Sca-cooks] Books of Possible Interest

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Sun Jan 20 07:33:05 PST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 12:36 AM, Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps wrote:

> The Spice Route, A History

This is a cool book - it crawls all over the topic, getting into all
the nooks and crannies.  Readable and incredibly detailed.

> Arranging the Meal, A History of Table Service in France

Some may find this book boring - it has a very limited subject and no
recipes (that I remember) - but I think it's positively AWESOME!  The
author, through a lot of thoughtful analysis, managed to find the
structure of the medieval French meal - which is impressive
considering how random the composition of the courses seems.  There
is more to the book than just that, but for me it was worth the price
of the book alone.

- Doc

-=-=-=-
349. Take smale byrdys and Orage, pyke hem clene, an thanne put hem
with brothe yn a-nother potte, and lete hem kele, take y-now of
powder of canel, a good quantyte, an caste it on red wyne, an draw it
thorw a straynour. caste sugre ther-to, an thanne serue hem forth in
a fayre dysshe.  [The Boke of Swyllyng]
-=-=-=-