[Sca-cooks] Elizabeth Crocker

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 20 08:59:41 PST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Pat Griffin wrote:

> I'm not a professional.  I never have taken cooking classes, except
> for one
> semester of Home Ick in high school.  BUT, as a housewife, I did
> cook mass
> quantities for such things as PTA or Farm Bureau fund raisers.  So,
> yes, I
> have peeled and diced 75 lbs. of onions on a semi regular basis and
> I've
> dressed, cleaned, cut up, marinated, and cooked 100 chickens at a
> time.  I
> don't think I am unique in that, or even unusual.  I think that most
> women
> who are "just" housewives and homemakers do the same.

How semi-regular? Once or maybe twice a day, five, maybe six days a
week, for years? If yes, I think perhaps your experience is unusual.

Let me emphasize the fact that I am not now, nor have I been,
denigrating anybody's skills, nor have I referred to anyone at any
point as "just" anything. The question was raised on why some culinary
professionals might have this attitude. I've tried to explain why; it
doesn't mean I hold this view, and the reason doesn't even really need
to be good, any more than it needs to be for all the other bad or
unfair things that exist in the world. It just needs to be true, and
from what I've seen, it is.

Adamantius