[Sca-cooks] Seeking Costus...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 21 01:53:33 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 3:12 AM, Lilinah wrote:

> I'd love to get some of the root variously called Costus and Costum
> in most of the books i've read, and also called putchuk and kusht in
> "Flavours of Byzantium" by Andrew Dalby.
>
> We have an excellent spice shop in town, called "Lhasa Karnak", which
> carries lots of seasoning and medicinal herbs and spices, but they
> don't have it - heck, for reasons i don't know, they don't carry long
> pepper - i have to get it at, of all places, "Whole Foods".
>
> I did a web search, but didn't turn up anyone selling it. Has anyone
> come across it for sale?

You might try and see if this is the same thing as alecost or
costmary, often used as a bittering agent by brewers when making
unhopped ales.

http://books.google.com/books?id=TNxiHDi51n8C&pg=PA368&lpg=PA368&dq=costmary+costus+costum&source=web&ots=OOXoQO5tNz&sig=nNMmKfzxacRq1irMB0CqTGNjMuk

Adamantius