[Sca-cooks] Elizabeth Crocker

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jan 22 08:06:01 PST 2008

> Gentle Readers,
> 	I have been reading this thread with great interest, and I am
> prepared to say that I am guilty of this very thing.  I have used the term
> 'housewife' when referring to food that is what I consider pedestrian in
> nature.  I learned it from the chefs I trained under, and have heard it
> used
> in teaching and working situations.

And there's plenty of precedence for it. Let us consider "any woman knows
how to cook these..." in the Viander, or the long disputes in 18th & 19th
century texts about the difference between a kitchen run by a man-cook
from a woman-cook.

But then again, many things are historical that ain't necessarily right or
fair. In this case, we're definitely dealing with professionals marking
their territory. :)

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net