[Sca-cooks] Bread bowls

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 23 13:38:48 PST 2008

Well, in honor of this thread and the not-particularly-special
memories it has evoked, i went to that SF restaurant before my Arabic
class last night. Its name is "Boudin", apparently pronounced locally
as "boo-deen". It appears to be chiefly a place for stressed office
workers to get lunch.

The menu has expanded over the decades. As i said, the company also a
bakery (the bread is sold in supermarkets), so it features sandwiches
on their sourdough bread (adequate but not great) and in the center
of the menu are these options: New England clam chowder, beef chili,
soup of the day, and, IIRC, something rather tomato soup-like, served
in their sourdough bread bowl.

As i believe i implied, this is not gourmet fare.  The clam chowder
is scary: unnaturally thick and white, i'm not a fan of average
tomato soup, and the soup of the day last night was a flavor i'd had
recently, so i had the chili. It was even more pathetic than i had
anticipated. I finished the chili and took the bread bowl home in a
carry-out container, and had it, warmed up, for breakfast this AM,
spread with a little butter.

So, see what you all made me do :-P
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)