[Sca-cooks] Everything old is new again

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 25 14:23:36 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 5:03 PM, Susan Fox wrote:

> Like many other immigrants to the Americas, I guess that the Japanese
> got told "OK here we are, it's America" and got off the boat, and it
> wasn't the USA.  Peru had a president of Japanese heritage not long
> ago,
> didn't they?  It just sounds a bit, well not funny but cognotively
> dissonant to hear non-Spanish names in South America.

I remember being interested to note that Brazil has a high
concentration of Japanese martial arts schools, particularly for
aikijiujitsu and aikido, apparently.

The people who got a rather raw deal, though, were the Chinese who
left China in 1949, not wishing to live under a communist regime.
Where did a lot of them go?

Cuba. Of course.

Well, it _seemed_ like a good idea at the time...

Adamantius