[Sca-cooks] White Pizza- OOP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 27 14:19:52 PST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008, at 4:22 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

>> Carmelized onion sounds interesting.  I've found that cheddar works
>> best
> with a strongly flavored meat, bacon, Italian sausage, something
> like that.

I like that sweet contrast with the tangy cheddar. Maybe Black Forest
Ham.

>> Well, my issue was with Alfredo Sauce, since it presupposes a mise en
>> place of premixed ingredients, which I assume do not consist of
>> butter, pasta-boiling-water, parmigiano, salt and pepper, in order to
>> have this Alfredo Sauce on hand and ready to put on your pizza. It
>> would be akin to making a lovely, velvety, eggy batch of real
>> fettucine, and after wondering what to do with it, saying, "Hey! I
>> know! Let's open this jar of Alfredo Sauce and go to town!"
>>
> <clipped>
>>> Thinking of Ragu goop on a nice flat bread isn't pleasant.
>>
>> Oddly enough, I could argue that, in theory. It might be marginally
>> preferable to a stick in the eye. Of course, I'd _much_ rather be
>> eating warm flatbread with salt and olive oil than arguing about
>> anything.
>>
>> Adamantius
>
> The particular Ragu goop I was thinking of is Ragu Alfredo sauce,
> which a
> friend who shall remain nameless got a deal on a few years ago and
> dropped
> on me two hours before feast to produce pasta for 100+ for a King's
> College
> a few years ago.  The experience did not enamour me of Ragu.

I think we have a jar of that way back in the cupboard, of extremely
ancient vintage. I believe it was purchased by someone other than
myself (we do have some serious tomato allergies in the house). No,
wait, it's Progresso Classico (whose red sauce is the preferred type
around here, from among available slop in a jar, and among the people
here who eat red stuff). I think somebody with a real mean streak
purchased Ragu cheddar cheese sauce once. Well, I have not actually
opened the Progresso Alfredo Sauce (the less said about Ragu Cheddar
Sauce, the better), and it's presumably well past its expiration date.
I just use it to frighten the troops when they get out of line.

"Don't start with me! I'm getting out the sauce!"

"No, please! We'll be good! Honest! Not the sauce!"

Adamantius