[Sca-cooks] As to favas

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 11:18:03 PST 2008

A while back we had a discussion of fava beans and
the difficulty in using them in feasts.

Well, I have to take a step back on my former assertions.
Here in Dallas, Elizabeth and I visited a terrific little Middle
Eastern/Morroccan grocery store and cafe. There we found
favas in all styles.  One of the best parts is that they are
now selling the favas pre-husked so the hard papery
shell covering is gone. They were only around $1.99 per
pound and double in size when soaked.

The favas were soaked and then cooked. The smell is....
different. I guess to a period nose they smell like home
cookin. The taste is nice with a slight bitter aftertaste.
I made makke and the end result is a little grainy and
almost a field pea flavor. Of the three varieties of beans
I've used for makke (Kidney, Great Northern, Fava) I like
the kidney beans best. But the favas are definately more
period.

So, if you can find a good ME market you can get favas
canned, fresh or dried and husked. My next project will
be benes yfried.

Gunthar