[Sca-cooks] Interesting, OOP NY Times Food History article...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 31 08:12:07 PST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008, at 9:41 AM, S CLEMENGER wrote:

> You mean, they haven't all died from heart-disease and obesity-
> related illnesses yet?
> I like food--anyone who's seen me knows that, and I'm definitely a
> carnivore, but good gawd....
> --Maire, shuddering at all the fat and white bread and beer
> carbs.....ugh....., and know that she'll never, ever understand
> people and food-eating contests (or events)

Honestly? I think I'm gigantically more bothered by restaurants
serving a twenty-pound cheeseburger (or whatever its weight is),
where, if you can finish it, it's free. Or the equivalent in steak.

This is a simple meal of beef, bread, salad and beer, under "all-you-
can-eat" conditions. I'm sure some people abuse it, and lots don't.

One could probably argue the no cutlery aspect as being part of an
eating contest mentality; Damon Runyon specifically mentions this in
his classic story "A Piece of Pie", but it may also simply be some
sort of historical throwback.

I've often thought that if I weren't in the SCA, the hobby for me
might be to research and recreate nineteenth-century New York City
gang culture. After fighting events you go out for steaks, beer, and
oysters...

Adamantius