[Sca-cooks] foodie road trip and request for suggestions

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 07:47:58 PST 2008

So yesterday I finally had the time and inclination to drive to Ann Arbor (45 min drive) to hit the Trader Joes and Whole Foods markets.  Sadly my home town is kind of lacking in that respect.  I was restrained (budgetary concerns) so only spent about $200 (I could have spent way more).  Some of the more interesting items I scored:
White fish caviar from NY
A double cream brie that was exquisite
A 2 yr old Wisconsin cheddar
Some fantastic bread,
Yuzu preserves
A bunch of other stuff (chocolate with curry powder, dried figs, meat, other cheeses, olives, bread, candies, sunchokes) but most interesting Whole Foods had Hand of Buddha Citron.  It smelled amazing and I just couldn't resist it (it also cost $10 for one).  So now my problem is, how do I get the most bang for my buck (so to speak). Do I:
Candy the peel in a medieval fashion (and therefore throw most of it away).  Do I candy peel and pith the modern way and get the most use out of it. Do I make a small batch of marmalade with it, therefore getting the most usable product?
So what would cooks on the list do, or what have they done with this fruit.
Helewyse