[Sca-cooks] Butter (OT, a bit)

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Tue Jul 1 11:58:35 PDT 2008

> Flavoring fat with spices (including ghee) is one
> of the primary cooking techniques in Indian cooking.
> It is done either at the beginning of making a dish
> (especially for meat dishes) or as a garnish of sorts
> at the end, lots of dal (legume) dishes use that technique.
> Dragon

Interesting! A friend (Eadric the Potter) mentioned that too. I can honestly
claim 'SCA annoyance' as the reason I tried the technique. At a recent
three-day event, I was planning on roasting my little chicken breast over
the camp's fire for myself but it'd been taken over by poorly-behaved boys
belonging to two families who never really parent their kid's behaviours...
I was so irritated with the kids that I decided to cook my meat in a pan.
Poured in the oil, then totally distracted, put in the coarse kosher salt
and some pepper and turned away to comfort someone else driven away from the
fire. When I put the meat in the now-heated oil, the smell was *wonderful*
and on flipping the meat over, I saw that the (skinless) breast was
crunchy-looking and coated in the spices.

So of course I've had to experiment even more at home. I guess some of our
education comes from odd sources. :)

Hrothny