[Sca-cooks] OOP -- Cherry Liqueur

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 3 21:07:51 PDT 2008

Arwen asked:

<<< I know that fruit liqueurs are pretty much out of period, >>>

Maybe. I've seen good arguments on either side. Part of it gets into
what the liqeours were used for. Do you include them when they were
used medicinally or just for enjoyment?

There are these files in the BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium.
These were all A&S winners I think, but I don't know what the basis
was for their being period.

Apricot-Crdal-art (12K)  6/30/00    "Apricot Cardamom Cordial"
                                        by Constance de LaRose.
Kiwi-cordial-art  (10K)  6/23/00    "Prickly Gooseberry, Mango,
Cardamom,
                                        Cordial" by Constance de LaRose.
Peach-Brandy-art  (12K) 10/25/01    "Peach Coriander Brandy" by Lady
Constance
                                        de LaRose.

<<< There's not enough for pie; there's not even enough for a
cobbler.  And
they are *very* tart.  So my thought for these was to make some cherry
liqueur. >>>

Well, maybe you'll get more next year. There is this file in the FOOD-
FRUITS section:
cherries-msg      (68K)  7/13/06    Period cherries and cherry
dishes. Recipes.

<<< Only I've never made liqueur.  I know it involves alcohol, sugar,
fruit,
and time, but I don't know what quantities of any of these things is
best. >>>

This file has a lot of info on making cordials and a number of
recipes. Unfortunately I didn't find any using cherries.
cordials-msg     (126K)  2/26/06    Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA
creations.

<<< And the grape vines are sporting teeny weeny little grapes
-- we have at least two varieties, concord and chardonnay, plus
twomystery vines that do not appear to have produced last year. >>>

Well, you could wait until they are ripe enough to make wine. Or, you
could use some of these green grapes, maybe when they've grown a
little bigger, to make verjuice.

In the FOOD section:
verjuice-msg     (128K)  1/17/08    Medieval verjuice. Modern
substitutions.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas