[Sca-cooks] Limes

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Sat Jul 12 12:12:35 PDT 2008

<< It's a shame I wasn't around last week to answer

the questions here as they first arose. >>

I hope it is allowed to the members of this list

to travel a few days now and then.

<< Michel de Nostredame or Nostradamus in 1555 did provide

recipes for preserving limes in his confectionery work, so

they seem to have been known and used in 16th century France.

The recipe in the English translation is titled “How to preserve

Limes and bitter oranges while they are small and still green…” It

calls for ... >>

Could you please comment on the translation of 16th century

French "(petitz) limons" (1556 edition of Nostradamus)

with "lime". Given the "confusion" in terminology, I'd be

happy to learn more about this passage.

<< /Healths Improvement/ which was written by Moffett in the

1590’s and published long after his death in 1655 does mention limes,

so they were known in Elizabethan England." page 39. I just went back

and checked Moffett and the passage on lemons and limes

appears on pages 206 and 207.(image 110 on EEBO) and it is

clear that he means limes as he mentions both with

relation to the citrons that were mentioned previously. >>

The title page says: "Written by that ever Famous Thomas Moffett ...".

But it continues: "Corrected and Enlarged by Christopher Bennet,

Docktor in Physick, ...". Can we be separate the Moffett parts

from the Bennet parts?

<< Later he writes *"The Lime * Apparently the first mention of the lime in literature was made

by Abd-Allatif in the thirteenth century. ... >>

The article, Brighid brought to our attention, says:

"The first reference known to us to the lime is that of

Abu l-Khayr ... when referring to it as ... [lim] in some

moment between the eleventh and twelfth centuries". (509)

<< I don't find that anyone actually referenced these examples from

Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin. ... 120 ... 69 >>

The German words in the "Kochbuch" are "lemoin" (in 69) and "lemona" (120).

There are dozens of further quotations for "lemoni", "limoni" in the

German corpus. The question remains: what kind of evidence is there that these

words refer to limes. (Apart from the Giessmann and Armstrong translation)

Plant names are hell ...

E.

      Posta, news, sport, oroscopo: tutto in una sola pagina.
Crea l&#39;home page che piace a te!
www.yahoo.it/latuapagina