[Sca-cooks] Weird American food?

Margaret Rendell m_rendell at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 17 17:33:43 PDT 2008

Kathleen A Roberts wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:58:32 -0500
>  Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> How about you Aussies out there? What do you consider weird American
>> food? I'm still not sure I want to even try sliced beet root on my
>> hamburgers, but apparently that is more common down there.
>
> ah, you saw that in gourmet as well!  i think the fried egg hit me as
> oddest on that burger.  but then i am a pork product with your eggs
> kinda gal.  carne adobada anyone?

The advantage of the Australian hamburger is that a egg-eating
vegetarian can get a decent feed at the local fish and chip shop - a
hamburger with the lot, minus bacon and beefburger. You get a fried egg,
fried onions, sometimes cheese but not usually, fried pineapple,
beetroot, raw tomato, lettuce, and tomato sauce. Yum!

Two things this Australian finds weird about US food (recently
discussed, so they come to mind):

-pumpkin pie: I've had it, and it was yummy, but it's one of those sweet
vegetable things like chocolate and beetroot cake, that you don't see
how it ever occurred to anyone to try. Here pumpkin is pretty much only
a vegetable, for soup, pasta filling, or baked with a lamb roast. The
only sweet exception is the Queensland specialty, pumpkin scones.

-dill pickles: I'm constantly amazed by US people talking about these
being popular at fighting events and on dayboards. I took some to a
lunchtime tournament once - I think two and a half pieces got eaten (two
people who liked them, one willing to try but spat the second bite out).

Margaret/Emma
Melbourne, Australia/Krae Glas, Lochac