[Sca-cooks] SCA 50th Anniversary Challenge

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 20 16:49:36 PDT 2008

On Jul 20, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Mike C. Baker wrote:

>> So now my quandary is, 50 of what?  50 bites of any food is a
>> lot, so whatever it is has to be able to keep (presuming not
>> all of it would be consumed at one go).  Candies or tarts or
>> something finger-food sized comes to mind, perhaps 50 pieces
>> of the same item would be ok, although I like the idea of 50
>> different somethings.  I have thought about candied confits,
>> but don't honestly think I can come up with 50 different
>> spices/flavorings (like orange peels) to candy.  Sauces -
>> hard to hold.  I could carve His Majesty's arms on 50 almonds
>> .. ok, let me stop and sit down for a minute here - lol.
>
> <wide-eyed innocence>
>
> Could always be cuskynoles involved...

Nah, there's only one true cuskynole.

> Amr -- errr, Adamantius.  That's right, Adamantius

Uh huh...

How about 50 sweets from several groups and cultures combined? Let's
see... we got:

Anise Confits
Caraway confits
Ginger confits
Cinnamon Confits
Almond Dragees (basically almond confits)
Hazelnut Dragees
Payn Ragoun (honey and pignole "fudge")
Penydes (pulled sugar hard candies)
Marzipan
Festicade (I think that's what it's called, basically pistachio
marzipan)
Sweet wafers (I like Markham's recipe with sugar, rosewater, eggs and
cream)
Quince paste
Apricot paste
Cherry paste
Candied roses
Candied violets
Candied orange peel
Candied lemon peel
White bisket bread (see Fettiplace; basically anise meringues)
Bizcochos (several types; do some or all)
Carrot "fudge" (Brighid could presumably help with this one)

That's 21 or more right there off the top of my head, and I haven't
even gotten to the Middle East yet, with its many sugar-based and
fruit-based confections, not to mention hulwas and pastries.

I'm sure people could add to this list, and I'd even bet we end up
with 50 items before midnight (that's a bit over four hours from now,
where I am...)

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter