[Sca-cooks] Disagreeing Politely: Was: SCA 50th Anniversary Challenge

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jul 21 19:04:06 PDT 2008

>>Well, with respect, unless you've done them, how would you know? For
>>example, what is it about the volatile flavors and moisture content of
>>each item that might require different treatment? They're applications
>>of some similar techniques to different items, but not the same item.
>
> As far as the anise and caraway comfits, they work exactly the same.
> (Yes,
> I've done them).  Ginger would work differently since it isn't a seed.
> Cinnamon might need to be treated slightly differently from seeds and
> ginger.  Sometimes the harder things (cubebs, peppercorns) needed to be
> soaked in (vinegar? wine?) for a while before comfiting.  Almonds and
> hazelnut dragees should work the same.

I found when I tried (using the later method, not the proper one that Dame
Alys Katherine uses), coriander comfits acted differently than anise and
caraway because of the different shape.

But I think with the 50 item challenge that it's really at the discretion
of the person doing the challenge, so some people would want to do
different things entirely, and others would want to try something 50 ways
or with 50 flavors (for instance, 50 different sauces would probably
involve several different recipes for each standard sauce, and you'd learn
something very different by trying each in turn...) However, some people
want to do very different things...

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net