[Sca-cooks] Weird American food?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jul 22 14:52:41 PDT 2008

> I wonder if there's been some [recent] change to the formula. Hormel's
> product is the only one I've seen in an individual slice, and it's
> pretty clearly from a formed meat product, if the photo I saw is
> remotely representative. Perfectly round, shiny-smooth around the
> edges, flecked evenly with tiny bits of either fat or gristle, which
> is what made me think of Lebanon Bologna. One web site refers to each
> slice as a little round patty, which made me think it had evolved into
> some form of sliced, lean sausage.

Dried chipped beef, everywhere I've seen it for sale, is-- well, dried
chipped beef, not from a sausage-like object. It's beef, sliced thin and
dried, suitable for making 's**t-on-a-shingle' aka creamed chipped beef on
toast.

Of course, in my neck of the woods, you can buy your sandwich meats,
especially ham, either sliced or 'chipped', that is, cut to thick
shaving-like slices in a pile-- which has another name in upstate NY but I
can't remember what.

Generally, I find the dried chipped beef in the refrigerated aisle, near
bacon and packaged sandwich meats, as well as other smoked meat products.

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net