[Sca-cooks] Cooking steaks was Re: lethal drinks

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 23 06:29:33 PDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 8:04 AM, Beth Ann Bretter wrote:

>> or who
>> immediately pour
>> soy sauce on white rice (I can't even watch people
>> doing that without
>> nearly gagging).
>
> Hey!  HEY NOW!  Dood!
>
> I even agreed with everything you said up until this sentence!
>
> Some of us LIKE soy sauce on our white rice.

Well, see, usually you eat white rice with something _intended_ as a
condiment/companaticum for it. And soy sauce is not generally that
thing. It's a bit like putting ketchup on bread and calling it a
sandwich, and very nearly a flat admission that you simply don't like
white rice.

Which is not a crime, generally speaking, it's just viewed as a little
barbaric by most cultures for whom rice is the primary staple.
Westerners tend to view white rice as a completely empty canvas with
no distinctive flavor or aroma of its own, to be used as a means of
conveying gravy to the mouth, but this really couldn't be farther from
the truth.

And honestly, some of the soy sauce out there that people are using
for this purpose is pretty unspeakable, too ;-).

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter