[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian & Vegans

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:55:06 PDT 2008

At my 12th Night feast earlier this year I tried to make
the feast as approachable as possible.

I made a vegetarian egredouce to go with the beef
egredouce.
Used firm fried tofu as a base substitute for my
venison in red wine sauce. Etc...
And made sure each course had a couple of vegetable
dishes so a non-meat or non-beef eater would not
feel left out.
I also tried to keep the various high-protein/low carb
diners fed.
There was a menu and recipes posted ahead of time
on a website and menus posted on the door to the
kitchen.

And still I met with people who said they didn't get
the feast because they were vegetarian, or couldn't eat
celery or such who then were surprised when I took
them over and showed them the posted recipes so they
could see they would have been able to eat most of the
feast.

Sometimes people with dietary needs don't bother to
check what is actually there. But I at least appreciated
the fact they didn't come and impose their needs on me
but just brought their own.

Gunthar