[Sca-cooks] Cooking steaks was Re: lethal drinks

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 23 13:45:55 PDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:

>> She had apparently smelled that while still out in the hallway,
>> outside our
>> apartment door.
>
> When I take walks in the neighborhood in the summer, with all the
> windows open, it's quite easy for me to say "someone's having pasta"
> or "someone cooked rice". Yes, even from the sidewalk. Of course, you
> can also smell a barbecue from about a mile away...
>
> This is one of my favourite things in the world: coming home to find
> the place fragrant with whatever's cooking for dinner. When I was
> still living with my parents, the fun was trying to guess what was on
> the menu from the doorway :-)

You want torture???

I live at the street-side front of a large apartment building about
twelve feet (it is the first floor, numerically, but it's above the
street level, which is the Lobby Level) above the sidewalk. When I'm
sitting at my desk I'll sometimes rest my eyes by letting them go
unfocused and sort of stare directly through the (usually open, except
in extreme cold weather) balcony door. Directly in my line of sight is
the house across the street, the one owned by the Korean family with
the five teenage daughters who like to come home and model their new
lingerie on Thursday evenings after they all get paid, in front of
their windows.

How do I convince people that what I am _actually_ ogling are the
stone crocks of kim chee that the grandmother keeps out on the balcony
and turns every day to keep them in the shade?

In the hallway outside my door, it's mostly arroz con pollo and
bacalao vizcaina on one side (lots of garlic, capers and green
olives), normally nothing on the other side (two guys that work in a
hotel and appear never to cook at home), and the little old Irish lady
across the hall who's apparently very big on burnt toast with butter,
and fish sticks. I'll bet her evening meal is a dish of tay anyway...

On the other hand, there are several Indian and Pakistani families
living in a small row houses next to my building on one side, and
there's generally some sort of curry-type thing going, and then
there's the bi-monthly barbecue held by the Korean Presbyterian Church
on the other side of the building...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter