[Sca-cooks] Cooking steaks was Re: lethal drinks

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 21:43:09 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius <
adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2008, at 11:08 PM, Ian Kusz wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius <
>> adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:
>>

>>> I disagree, based on personal experience.
>>
>> I worked on a fishing boat, and there were a good number (about 15)
>> Japanese
>> advisors; one of whom was an excellent cook (all the Japanese guys, and
>> some
>> of the Polish guys who had been guests, raved about his cooking).  The
>> Japanese guys put soy sauce on EVERYTHING.  I mean, I never saw them eat
>> cereal, or anything sweet, but everything I DID see them eat, they put soy
>> sauce on....rice, soup, noodles, eggs, vegetable dishes, meat, bread,
>> whatever.
>>
>> Now, these were "blue collar" guys, I think (I mean, they worked in a
>> factory), but they used it EXACTLY like some people use ketchup.
>>

> I wouldn't dream of arguing your personal experience; you were there. I can
> only go by my own (including my own family by marriage) and a fair amount of
> written material on Chinese, Japanese, and Southeast Asian gastronomy.
>
> And I'm also not discounting the possibility that this is a personal peeve
> of mine.
>
> But on the other hand, I'm not making this up...
>

> Adamantius
>
> Maybe it's a "class" thing?  These guys being "blue collar" might have
different practices than a more urban socialite class?  Or maybe
urban/rural?  I'm thinking it might be a case of different practices in
different places; the question is, is there a clear division from criteria,
though?  Maybe people in Tokyo do it differently?