[Sca-cooks] Goat milk for cheese

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 13:15:03 PDT 2008

> Has anyone tried canned goats milk to make cheese?? Our
> local Krogers has a sale on them.?
>
> Aldyth

The pasteurization method used to make the canned goat milk shelf stable breaks up the milk proteins pretty fine - so any curd you're going to form will be pretty soft.  I add a little calcium chloride to the milk when I make cheese using pasteurized milk, it helps the curd to form a little tighter so you can make harder cheeses.  Also, goat milk is very, very delicate and the more you handle it during the cheesemaking process the stronger a "capric note" you're going to get in the cheese.  "Capric note" is one of the trade phrases for goaty taste.  I would think that the pasteurizing process they use will be rough enough to bring out more of that capric note, but you'd have to try it to be sure.

If it's your only alternative then I suggest you try it and see how you like it.  You may also be able to find a local supplier by going here: http://www.realmilk.com/  I found my buying club that way and now have access to raw jersey and raw goat milk once a week or I could drive up to the farm and buy direct whenever I want.

Eibhlin