[Sca-cooks] Why *X* and not *Y*?

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Tue Jul 29 12:41:53 PDT 2008

Lawrence Bayne wrote:

> > It's a cultural thing.  In every culture.  Although
> > what is considered
> > weird/unusual varies...with the culture.  Could be
> > religious, dietary,
> > emotional, personal quirk with a texture or smell, all
> > kinds of things...
>
>I have eaten and often enjoyed many things that my CULTURE would
>have turned up it's nose at, AND I will continue to do so as long as
>I am able. I have long said that "if anyone, anywhere, has eaten and
>sustained themselves with something unusaul to me, then I WANT to
>give it a try."
>
>I have heard that in survival trials one shou;d allow flies to get
>to infected wounds, let them lay their eggs, allow the larvae to
>hatch and eat the putrified flesh. When they are done you can then
>eat the larvae with impunity to keep yourself alive, while bandaging
>the wound to keep it clean. I only hope that I have the STOMACH to
>eat the maggots.

When you are hungry enough, you will eat anything. It's just a matter
of how hungry is enough to overcome one's barriers.

This is evidenced quite starkly by incidents of cannibalism such as
the famous plane crash in the Andes back in the 1970s. A former boss
of mine  was in Holland in late 1944 before the Germans were pushed
out. He told me about living on seagulls, mice and rats because that
was all there was to eat.

People tend to either do what they need to do to survive or they give
up and die.

Dragon