[Sca-cooks] Groovy Camp oven

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 1 13:15:37 PDT 2008

Dragon wrote:
> Michael Gunter wrote:
>
>> Okay, if we are throwing period cooking utensils to the
>> wind and just looking for convenient camp cooking
>> stuff, check this out!
>>
>> http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=421617
>>
>> Man, I want that.
> ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
> Eh, personally I'll pass on that. I have yet to find something I can't
> bake in a sufficiently sized cast iron Dutch oven with an appropriate
> supply of hot coals available.
>
> My ultimate goal for an upcoming war is to build and operate a
> temporary on-site brick bread oven. Now that would rock. Which war and
> when is still up in the air right now.

We ought to make one on wheels, like we keep seeing in period woodcuts.
Uhhh, like this.  <http://www.godecookery.com/afeast/kitchens/kit010.html>
Transporting it would be a bear, but possible with a trailer.

You ought to see the community ovens they run at Estrella.  Next time I
go, I want to hang out there.

I'm building a permanent brick bread oven in the new place actually.
There's this half-finished brick BBQ that would convert pretty easily;
just fill in the hollow inside, pour a slab then start building the
dome.  Booyah!

Selene