[Sca-cooks] Just one of those weird little questions...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 1 22:12:48 PDT 2008

Brears mentions a recipe, I forget which and it hardly matters at this
point, which can be prepared in different versions for flesh, fish,
and lent days. The meat day version includes a small amount of honey,
and, if I remember rightly, the fish day version sugar. I forget what
was significant about the Lenten version.

My question is, apart from the obvious reality of where honey comes
from, has anyone run across any specific reference to honey being a
flesh-day, animal-type product to be avoided on other days? Again,
obviously that's just what it is, but every so often the logic doesn't
quite make sense to us, and we can't just assume that it would be
regarded as forbidden on fish days.

Adamantius

This is a really interesting question.

The Orthodox Church considers honey to be a product of animals and prohibits
it during Lent.  Whether this is true of the Roman Catholic Church, I have
no idea.

IIRC, the Roman Catholic dietary rules are derived from the Benedictine
Rule, but I haven't found any reference as to how honey is viewed other than
it was used as a common food stuff.  Woolgar may have something on it, but I
haven't located much on the meat-fish-Lent issue.

Bear