[Sca-cooks] A (relatively) cheap oven idea...

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Thu Jul 3 11:09:31 PDT 2008

Dragon wrote:
>So all this oven discussion here on sca-cooks got me thinking...
>which is sometimes a dangerous thing...
>
>Here's an idea for an easy, and relatively cheap terracota camp oven.
>
>Get a large, heavy-walled terracotta (unglazed!) flower pot, make
>sure it is not too large to handle easily. Get a large, thick
>(unglazed!) terracotta tile (or tiles if necessary or fire bricks)
>big enough to support the pot while it is inverted.
>
>Have your bread dough proofing and nearly ready to bake.
>
>Place the tile(s) or brick base in a fire safe place. Do the same for the pot.
>
>Build a fire atop the tile(s), build another inside the pot. Let
>them heat for about an hour. Brush the embers and ashes off the tile
>or brick base, dump the embers and ashes from the pot, place your
>ready to bake loaf in the center of the tile, place the pot
>(inverted) over the loaf. Let bake until the bread is done, it
>should not take too long (though I will have to experiment to get
>the right timing) and the terracotta ought to retain enough heat to
>bake the bread fully.
>
>I'm going to look for a suitable pot and tiles and give this a try.
>A lot easier and lighter than a brick oven and it ought to work well.

And in the same spirit, others have done this successfully:

http://www.dragonslaire.org/Articles/An_Experiment_in_Bread_Baking_Junefaire%202002.htm

and

http://www.dragonslaire.org/Arts_and_Sciences/Guild%20Hall/culinary%20Guild/bread_project.htm

So... this is going to become a regular part of my war kitchen.

Dragon