[Sca-cooks] English Food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 4 11:05:14 PDT 2008

Serena said:
<<< I have never done
the meat with sauces thing because, for some unknown reason, it can be
difficult to get people in this area to try sauces.>>>

Provide several different sauces and let folks know which ones are each.

A few more period sauce recipes:
camelne-sauce-msg (26K)  8/22/04    Sauces w. cinnamon as a major
component.
garum-msg         (78K)  2/24/08    Roman fish sauces made from
fermented fish.
                                        Also includes comments on
liquamen.
    (Probably not the thing for your dinners skittish of strange
sauces, though)
sauces-msg       (172K)  2/14/08    Period sauces. Sauce recipes.

These are in the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section of the Florilegium.

<<< Then again, I once served a whole deep fried onion with a
Garlic/Walnut sauce that went over very well. >>>

Oh? Any evidence for deep fried onions of any style being period? I
wonder how that sauce would work with fried mushrooms. Okay, there
are also some horseradish sauces, I think, in this file in the
PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
horseradish-msg   (60K)  7/13/06    Period use of horseradish. Recipes.

<<< To give a second option on sauces what would you recommend? Maybe a
mustard would be complementary? >>>

A green sauce or the garlic-walnut sauce you mention would make a
contrast. Or for mustards, I do have a few recipes.
Mustard-art        (5K)  9/14/00    "Mustard" by Ld. Daniel le Vascon
du Navarre
Mustard-Making-art (36K) 12/ 7/03    "Making Medieval-Style Mustards"
by Pani
                                        Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
mustard-msg      (154K)  2/13/08    Mustard seed in period. sauces.
recipes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas