[Sca-cooks] Lemons? Limes? Confusion?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 22:39:17 PDT 2008

According to the OED, the first printed instance of the use of the word "Lime" as a fruit or fruit tree was in 1638.  In fact, the first meaning of "lime" in the OED is about birdlime, which was used first in the 8th century.  The chemical "lime" started in the 14th century.  The OED lists five different meanings of "lime" before it gets to the fruit meaning. I doubt very much if Shakespeare was referring to the fruit when he used the word "lime" twelve times.  More likely he was referring to the substance or chemical.

Huette