[Sca-cooks] OOP-OT Squash

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 05:11:50 PDT 2008

Not sure about the yellow crook-neck, but I often make a kind of ratatouille
(sp??)...I make thick slices of squash, saute it with onion.  Then I add
fresh tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and a "glug" of dry red wine
and let the whole business stew together until everything is cooked
together.  Usually comes out pretty good.  I don't have any quantities as
it's something I kind of came up with myself, so season it as the spirit
strikes me!

My mother often made fried squash with the zukes as well...slice them, dunk
them in an egg bath, then flour them with a corn meal/salt/pepper mixture.
Fry in oil (or to do it southern style, bacon drippings!).

Or slice both kinds onto a salad, use them as crudites with a nice ranch
dressing.......

Kiri