[Sca-cooks] OOP-OT Squash

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Mon Jul 14 05:23:59 PDT 2008

Zuke bread, as someone else has mentioned.
It's good grated and stir-fried with garlic and olive oil.
It's good in smallish chunks, sauteed with fresh tomato chunks,
chunks/strips of bell pepper, and pieces of green onion (watch for a
surprising amount of juice/water, though); after sauteing, top with freshly
grated parmesan and salt/pepper to taste (my mom used to call that one
"Zucchini Melange," and it's definitely best if all the veggies come fresh
from the garden)
I used to have a recipe (long since lost) that used zuke, shredded, to make
a kind of pickle, like sweet pickle relish
You can eat the flowers, I'm told....
The small ones, cut small, would probably be good in a variety of egg dishes
like frittatas
I've got a cookbook ("Enchanted Broccoli Forest") which has a recipe for a
Savory Cheesecake that contains grated zucchini in addition to other veggies
You can stuff the larger ones and bake them
The giant ones are good for blowing up with leftover firecrackers, or for
one's father to place on a fence post and use for target practice....
--Maire