[Sca-cooks] Weird food

Laureen Hart lhart at graycomputer.com
Fri Jul 18 10:54:33 PDT 2008

*************************************
Now if you want weird...my husband's favorite sandwich is peanut
butter/butter/catsup....AAaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhh!  I can see peanut butter
and bacon...kind of reminds me of a wonderful Virginia delicacy, peanut
soup!

Kiri

**************************************
I think it depends on the peanut butter.

I eat the kind that is just ground up peanuts and salt. So with bacon or
catsup doesn't sound too odd to me. I like peanut butter and Marmite, and my
best friend growing up ate peanut butter and homemade dill pickles.

My husband eats the kind of peanut butter with sugar and extra hydrogenated
vegetable oil so bacon with that sounds "wrong" to me. Obviously people have
been sugaring their meat forever so I don't know why it does seem wrong.
(Though I prefer my ham/bacon/corned beef etc Smoked and without sugar).
**
I thought the pickled beet on hamburger sounds great! Pineapple on Hamburger
is usually called "Hawaiian" in Seattle.
I grew up with pickled beets and love them, but I have met people who
wouldn't even try them as the concept was so strange to them.

We ate pickled beets, eggs, watermelon rind, pigs feet, etc. If there was
lots and it wasn't likely to be eaten quick enough mom would pickle it or
freeze it. Mom always said pickling everything was a Midwest thing. I
suspect it was also a "not much money" thing. Back in the 50s and 60s mom
would try anything new in the store if it was cheap. In Seattle, stores used
to bring new stuff in cheap to get people to try it.

Randell Raye