[Sca-cooks] pumpkins and squashes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 18 19:52:30 PDT 2008

Bear said:

<<< Purely as a guess, pumpkin pie began as an Elizabethean "thang"
in the New
World as a replacement for some of the pie stuffs the colonists had left
behind.  >>>>

Okay, such as what? I can't see it replacing a berry pie. It's too
different. And I can't think of anything in a custard pie which
wouldn't have been available in the New World, at least after the
colonies were going.

<<< While pumpkin and squashes in general are used in a variety of ways
and pumpkin pie is available year round, most people in the U.S.,
when you
say "pumpkin," relate it to the pumpkin pie served as a treat between
Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. >>>

Yes. But I assume that is because pumpkins tend to ripen then.  And
from my experience with Halloween pumpkins, they have a rather
limited shelf life. Of course so does pumpkin pie.

Hmmm. What are the preservation methods for pumpkins and squashes, if
any? Will they rehydrate okay if you dry them?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com