[Sca-cooks] Weird American food?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 21 05:45:57 PDT 2008

On Jul 21, 2008, at 7:47 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> No problem...I just needed to pick Phillip's brain.  It really is
> the best
> I've ever eaten.  Of course, what I grew up with was what my mom
> made, which
> was to make a sauce out of Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup and add
> the
> chipped beef.  It was good, but Phillip's is SO much better!

I don't think I've ever, in my life, laid eyes upon chipped beef. The
photo in Wikipedia looks like a somewhat more-aggressively-cured
version of Lebanon Bologna. I had always thought, and been told, both
by my father and also hearing from such sources as Julia Child (who
was not without military experience), that S.O.S. was made from
shredded corned beef. I could picture my late father eating this in
the Army and simply having no clue as to what he was eating, but Julia
Child? I'm surprised.

I assume the ground beef is to cut the salt content somewhat?

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter