[Sca-cooks] SCA 50th Anniversary Challenge

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 07:22:18 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Jul 21, 2008, at 12:26 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>> Carrot "fudge"?
>
> It was a reference to a Spanish recipe Brighid had translated and cooked
> several times. Maybe Granado? I expect it's in the Florilegium.

Granado, yes.  I don't know if it's in the Florilegium.  It is on my webpage:
http://breadbaker.tripod.com/sweets.html

It's a confection of grated carrot, cooked with honey and spices to a
thick consistency.  It's almost certainly of Arab origin.  A similar
recipe, minue the pinenuts, appears in the Anonymous Andalusian
Cookbook as "Carrot Paste"
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian10.htm#Heading519
It is listed there as being an aphrodisiac.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
My NEW email is rcarrollmann at gmail.com