[Sca-cooks] Weird American food?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 21 11:07:22 PDT 2008

On Jul 21, 2008, at 1:19 PM, Beth Ann Bretter wrote:

>> I don't think I've ever, in my life, laid eyes upon
>> chipped beef. The
>> photo in Wikipedia looks like a somewhat
>> more-aggressively-cured
>> version of Lebanon Bologna.
>
> It's really nothing like Lebanon Bologna.  It's more like a dried,
> but not so dried as to be jerky like, corned beef.  Heck, I don't
> even know what section of the supermarket to buy it in (I was never
> a fan) but all the chipped beef I've ever
> seen came packaged similarly to smoked salmon.

I wonder if there's been some [recent] change to the formula. Hormel's
product is the only one I've seen in an individual slice, and it's
pretty clearly from a formed meat product, if the photo I saw is
remotely representative. Perfectly round, shiny-smooth around the
edges, flecked evenly with tiny bits of either fat or gristle, which
is what made me think of Lebanon Bologna. One web site refers to each
slice as a little round patty, which made me think it had evolved into
some form of sliced, lean sausage.

Early descriptions of it that I've seen compare it to bresaeola,
bundnerfleisch, etc., but the photo didn't look much like those.

As for where you'd find it, I can't say for sure, but there's probably
an aisle with canned meats in most supermarkets: beef stew, chili,
that sort of thing, and by extension, things like jars of pickled
pig's feet. If there is such a section in your market, if they have it
at all, I'm guessing that's where it would be.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter