[Sca-cooks] Dragees

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 21 12:08:56 PDT 2008

Selene wrote:

>I would dearly like to (snip) get
>fluent with the making of dragees. Yes, I tried it once but it clearly
>warrants a lot more practice. Especially with nuts! How do you get an
>adequate number of sugar-layers on and yet keep them from burning?

A quick answer is that the temperature of the pan shouldn't be too hot.  (A
thunderstorm is imminent and I am going to log off soon!)  The pan
shouldn't be on direct heat, I don't believe.  A period balancing pan swung
above a charcoal fire.  A wok on a ring, to keep it from direct heat,
should do the same thing.  The sugar syrup won't cause burning but a
too-hot pan will.

Alys K.

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com