[Sca-cooks] lethal drinks

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jul 21 13:46:22 PDT 2008

Dragon wrote:

> I've had people categorically tell me that I should NEVER use
> ingredient X (usually nuts or mushrooms) in anything served at an SCA
> feast because somebody might be allergic to them.

<snip>

> My response when I am told such things is very reasonable I think and
> it is thus:
>
> - Not more than one dish per course in a feast will contain a
> potentially problematic ingredient. For example, almonds would not
> appear in more than one dish per course but may appear more than once
> in different dishes in different courses (though usually I don't do
> that in a given feast). My list of such things includes the most
> common allergens all types of nuts, shellfish (which I almost never
> use due to cost), and mushrooms. A number of potential allergens are
> not even used in anything I cook for an SCA event as they are non-period.
>
> - A COMPLETE list of ALL ingredients used in each dish is made
> available BEFORE the feast is served.
>
> - Strict control is maintained in the kitchen to prevent
> cross-contamination. For example, each pot has it's own spoon to stir
> it to prevent the almond milk from getting into another sauce for
> example. All cutting boards, knives and other prep gear are washed
> with hot water and soap before being used for the next ingredient, etc.

Which I think is an extraordinary effort to go to.  My approach: *tell
me when booking* whether you have allergies or intolerances and I will
make sure, by one method or several, that you either get a good and
varied meal or I don't take your money.  I will not try to anticipate
what people might be allergic to or limit my use of ingredients without
an actual indication that there's a problem. I do provide ingredient
lists and I may issue warnings, adjust menus, provide alternates, etc.,
etc., when there *is* an issue.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,