[Sca-cooks] lethal drinks

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jul 21 14:30:28 PDT 2008

Dragon wrote:

> Antonia Calvo wrote:
>
>> Dragon wrote:
>>
>>> I've had people categorically tell me that I should NEVER use
>>> ingredient X (usually nuts or mushrooms) in anything served at an
>>> SCA feast because somebody might be allergic to them.
>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> My response when I am told such things is very reasonable I think
>>> and it is thus:
>>>
>>> - Not more than one dish per course in a feast will contain a
>>> potentially problematic ingredient. For example, almonds would not
>>> appear in more than one dish per course but may appear more than
>>> once in different dishes in different courses (though usually I
>>> don't do that in a given feast). My list of such things includes the
>>> most common allergens all types of nuts, shellfish (which I almost
>>> never use due to cost), and mushrooms. A number of potential
>>> allergens are not even used in anything I cook for an SCA event as
>>> they are non-period.
>>>
>>> - A COMPLETE list of ALL ingredients used in each dish is made
>>> available BEFORE the feast is served.
>>>
>>> - Strict control is maintained in the kitchen to prevent
>>> cross-contamination. For example, each pot has it's own spoon to
>>> stir it to prevent the almond milk from getting into another sauce
>>> for example. All cutting boards, knives and other prep gear are
>>> washed with hot water and soap before being used for the next
>>> ingredient, etc.
>>

>> Which I think is an extraordinary effort to go to.  My approach:
>> *tell me when booking* whether you have allergies or intolerances and
>> I will make sure, by one method or several, that you either get a
>> good and varied meal or I don't take your money.  I will not try to
>> anticipate what people might be allergic to or limit my use of
>> ingredients without an actual indication that there's a problem. I do
>> provide ingredient lists and I may issue warnings, adjust menus,
>> provide alternates, etc., etc., when there *is* an issue.
>
> ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
> Unfortunately, things here in Caid don't work that way. Many of our
> feasts don't have reservations and those that do may not sell out in
> advance. We have a rather large and varied populace and I have dealt
> with a number of people trying to tell me what I can and can't do for
> a feast.

They worked that way in Caid when we were part of Caid :-)

And, actually, booking isn't something that just happens.  We went to
quite a bit of effort a few years ago to get people into the habit.

> So... I have to do some planning to accommodate allergies and by
> limiting the main problem foods to just a few dishes it ensures that
> there is something almost everyone can eat. The policy I have come up
> with is workable.

Fair enough :-)

> Now if I could just not have to worry about the vegetarians... oh how
> they vex me...

Oh, don't get me started... and definitely don't get me started on vegans...

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?