[Sca-cooks] Cooking steaks was Re: lethal drinks

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jul 21 19:42:07 PDT 2008

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

>I think that how people were fed when they grew up has a large part in how they order their steaks.  My mother only cooked steak well-done and that is the way I ordered it when dining out as a child, teenager and young adult.  However, I got better.  I started to dislike chewy meats, so I gradually started ordering my meat from medium well to medium to medium rare.

That makes some sense to me-- although, personally, I thought I hated
steak (and roast beef and pork) as a child because it was always dry and
chewy.  Then, at some point, Mum started cooking steak a bit rarer (say,
medium to medium-well) and I started liking it a lot better.

>I have occasionally eaten rare, but it is a textural thing with me; also a temperature thing.  Unless I know a restaurant really well, I will never order rare because I don't want cold raw meat [that has happened to me].
>I like my beef juicy, but at least warm all the way through.  And I don't like the taste or texture of raw beef fat.

I like raw beef (carpaccio etc.), but not if it has any noticable fat on
it.

>One the other hand, I like my sushi and sashime raw and cold.  The taste and texture of fish is entirely different.  But it has to be cold.  Selene and I went to a new sushi place near my house and all the sushi came out lukewarm.  We didn't get sick, but I will never go back there again.

Ugh... yeah, I'm with you there. (I don't think it's caused by sushi
going unrefrigerated so much as not giving the rice enough time to cool).

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?