[Sca-cooks] Cooking steaks was Re: lethal drinks

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 22 09:39:13 PDT 2008

Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> One the other hand, I like my sushi and sashime raw and cold.  The taste and texture of fish is entirely different.  But it has to be cold.  Selene and I went to a new sushi place near my house and all the sushi came out lukewarm.  We didn't get sick, but I will never go back there again.

Agreed, we will not.  I don't mind the trend toward Koreans opening
sushi restaurants as long as they do it right.  These folks did not.
Also, one runs the risk of Koreans adding Korean touches to the Japanese
cuisine, which I am not automatically against -- Korean spiced nori
sheets are very nice - but when Mistress Huette is with me, I need to be
aware of the capsicum allergy and be on guard against anything
chili-peppery.
> Dragon, have you always eaten your steaks rare?  How did your mother or father cook them for you?  I think that those people who still order well-done steaks have immature pallets or are not adventurous eaters.  My brother is one of those kinds.  He still orders his steaks and [shudder] prime rib well-done.  But then he is not an adventurous eater.  And he dislikes sushi.
My mother likes steak medium-rare and my father likes it well-done.  I
take after mother and my unadventurous brother takes after father.
Statistically perfect, that's us!

Meanwhile, back at the Medieval era... Documentation.   I seem to recall
a quote about Charlemagne's doctor trying to get him to quit eating so
much grilled meat.  Has anybody got that quote handy?

Selene