[Sca-cooks] carpaccio?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 22 12:04:45 PDT 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 12:11 PM, Dragon wrote:

> Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>
>> On Jul 22, 2008, at 2:50 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>>
>>> Antonia mentioned:
>>> <<< I like raw beef (carpaccio etc.), but not if it has any
>>> noticable fat on
>>> it.>>>
>>>
>>> What is carpaccio? We've discussed at least one raw meat dish here
>>> before, but I don't remember this being it. From the name, I assume
>>> this is Italian. Is that true? What other types of raw meat dishes
>>> are there? Do such meats need to be from a particular cut of meat or
>>> a particular animal?
>>

>> It's a dish of thinly sliced raw beef (sometimes slightly thicker
>> slices, pounded to a paper-thin "cutlet"), laid out on a wide
>> platter,
>> garnished with drizzles of olive oil, black pepper, shavings of
>> parmigiano-reggiano, sometimes capers, or, in lieu of all that, a
>> mustard and lemon vinaigrette. Usually from the tenderloin/fillet of
>> beef, it is alleged to have been created at Harry's American Bar in
>> Venice in 1950. It doesn't necessarily reflect any particular Italian
>> tradition of raw-meat-eating per se (although it is done there);
>> apparently a diner came in and asked for a dish to be made of
>> uncooked
>> beef on doctor's orders.
>>
>> Today the term "carpaccio" is applied to all sorts of non-beef items
>> including tuna, veal, tomatoes, and various other fruits and
>> vegetables that are thinly sliced and laid out across a wide platter
>> and garnished.
>>
>> Other raw meat dishes include kibbeh, which is found in various
>> places
>> in the Middle East, generally made with ground lamb, bulgur, onion
>> and
>> seasonings, often baked but sometimes eaten raw, raw liver from
>> various animals eaten in France, Italy and elsewhere, several raw
>> beef
>> dishes eaten in various parts of Africa, and raw beef served as
>> sashimi in Japan and Korea. I'm sure there are more...
> ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
> And don't forget the classic Steak Tartare :-) (A personal favorite
> of mine, raw beef AND raw eggs!)

Honestly, I had not forgotten Steak Tartare, so much as took it for
granted. My bad. Yes, it's wonderful, particularly when hand-minced.

> Just wanted to point out that a lot of times the beef for carpaccio
> isn't always completely raw. Very often it will be briefly seared on
> the outside before being sliced paper thin.

Yes. One could argue that this is not the classical version, but I
guess since there really is no particularly classical version, this is
a moot point...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter