[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian & Vegans was Re: lethal drinks

debbie pond pursey42 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 07:01:15 PDT 2008

I am surprised to hear about the issues many of you have had with vegetarians at feast.  Being a vegetarian for nearly 20 years(albeit one that occasionally eats bacon and fish), I would like to say a few words about this.  I do not preach about vegetarianism. I respect each person's choices, and hope that they can respect mine.  I have never gone away hungry from a feast(unlike some of my pickier carnivore friends.)  Here in our area of the Middle Kingdom, most feast menus are posted online, and I usually make the decision of whether or not there is enough for me to eat based on that.  I would  _never_  expect the cooks to make special dishes just for me.  Please do not think that all vegetarians out there are as particular and self-centered as some of those mentioned here previously.  Yamina bint al-Rabii'     Message: 7Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 01:55:33 -0400From: "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius1 at verizon.net>Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Vegetarian & Vegans was Re: lethal drinksTo: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>Message-ID: <D114C56A-EA26-4299-9620-13FF178F0D06 at verizon.net>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yesNo. First of all, the whole grain requirements go beyond the theory and expectation associated with simple vegetarianism, and you're feeding this person a meal, not assuming responsibility for their full FDA requirement of every necessary nutrient.What you're supposed to be doing, should you decide to accept this mission, is make it possible for the person to sit at your feast and eat a reasonable, even a good, meal without being made to feel left out or like some sort of freak of nature. It's about seamless integration.This does not entitle the person to write their own personal menu and expect you to cook it, or to expect you to take a lot of time away from the needs of the majority of your group for the benefit of one or a relative few.Adamantius"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."-- Rabbi Israel Salanter------------------------------