[Sca-cooks] Cooking steaks was Re: lethal drinks

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 23 09:20:57 PDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 10:55 AM, S CLEMENGER wrote:

> So is most of the white rice served in restaurants I've been in....
> I can only think of one or two restaurants in town that serve
> something
> besides genericblandboringtasteless white rice.  One is a Thai place
> and the
> other, Vietnamese.

We tend not to get anything very special in the way of rice for home
use; generally it's just Carolina, but it gets transferred from the
bag to a two-gallon glass jar when we get it home, and even when raw
there's a sweet, rich, grainy whiff when the jar is opened. When we
steam it for Chinese-type use, there are distinct aromas of starch,
semi-converted sugars, and the toasted grain at the bottom of the pot,
the aroma of which is imbued throughout -- unfortunately, if you burn
it, that is imbued throughout, too. Electric rice cookers in some
restaurants seem to do something of a disservice to the quality of the
finished product on the aroma and flavor front.

A bowl of absolutely unadorned white rice isn't everybody's thing, but
there's almost always something served with it, and if it's not more
than adequate without adding soy sauce to the rice, it probably means
that accompanying dish hasn't been done right. I think most serious
rice consumers are looking for the contrast between the rich sweetness
of the rice and the more piquant, powerful flavors of the accompanying
dish.

Of course,  around here, sometimes that accompanying dish is as simple
as the steamed contents of a can of fried dace with fermented black
beans, and/or Chinese sauages, or soup poured over it. She Who Must be
Obeyed is fond of fu ngoy/fu yi, which is a condiment made from bean
curd cubes fermented in brine to a rather tangy, cheeselike state,
with the brown, toasty crusts of rice from the bottom of the pot, and
when nobody's looking I like at least one or two mouthfuls of my
steamed rice rolled into a ball, for its firm texture. Besides, it
makes me feel like I'm in a Kurosawa movie ;-).

I remember being told, fairly recently, back when we found ourselves
in temporary semi-custody of a SCAdian who had gotten off a plane at
one of the New York airports on a snowy holiday weekend, only to find
that all her carefully-laid plans for where she was staying had been
systematically destroyed by a friend who had travelled on ahead, who
was supposed to be an integral part of the plans, but who had excused
herself without notice. After a morning and afternoon of panicky phone
calls and e-mails to and from various people, she arrived here, and I
was informed later that she had walked through the door, and the first
significant sensation that hit her was an unidentifiably homey,
comforting aroma -- which was odd because we had frantically removed
the dead mule lying in the middle of the living room floor only
minutes before she arrived, and we hadn't started cooking dinner yet,
except, of course, for a pot of rice.

She had apparently smelled that while still out in the hallway,
outside our apartment door.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter