[Sca-cooks] Pulled Sugar Penydes was SCA 50th Anniversary Challenge

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Jul 23 13:07:34 PDT 2008

Also mentioned in this collection's glossary is another candy without a
true recipe.
That's "sukkar Sulaymani" which is described as "hard sugar candy made from
white cane sugar. Sulaymani and tabarzad are sometimes referred to as
al-sukkaran 'the two sugars'
as in the Istanbul MS (fol. 22v)."
Nasrallah goes on to say that it was made from white sugar boiled into a
thick syrup, then beaten
until it clouded and crystallized. This would have aerated it. While
still hot (or warm) and malleable,
it was formed into discs, rings, fingers, and otherwise shaped. page 601
This was eaten as candy or was crushed and used as a garnish or crushed
for use in recipes. page 602

If one takes a look at the recipe for "Dry lawzinaj (almond brittle)
cooked on a fire on pages 411-412,
there is a note included in that recipe that one stirs the mixtures as
one does when one makes sukkar Sulaymani.
Nasrallah notes in a footnote on page 412 that she thinks sukkar
Sulaymani was stirred in such a fashion.

So was it pulled while being shaped-- that would be the question. One
might think so.

This is from Annals of the Caliphs' Kitchens.Ibn Sayya-r al-Warra-q's
Tenth-Century Baghdadi Cookbook.
English Translation with Introduction and Glossary by Nawal Nasrallah
Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2007 xii, 876 pp., 32 pp of color plates.

Johnnae

Lilinah wrote: snipped to reduce length