[Sca-cooks] Silly Siense Season...

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 29 07:23:47 PDT 2008

> "and all kinds of fish, for best results, should be fried without
> grease in the manner here described; take an egg yolk or two and rub
> the (hot) pan until it appears to sweat; the pan should be quite black
> and wiped thoroughly with a cloth, and it should be carefully watched
> lest it become too hot or too cold; sprinkle a little salt or sugar on
> (the surface of) the pan; [fry the fishes] as you would serve them on
> a plate, putting in one after the other without letting them each other"
>
> In Hieatt's notes on this recipe, she says, among other things, that
> "It is not the egg yolk which gives the appearance of 'sweating,' but
> the cholesterol left behind when the coating of yolk is wiped from the
> pan with a cloth."
>
> I just thought that was really cool. Doesn't it look a lot like
> instructions for seasoning an iron pan and pan-broiling a steak
> without any fat?
>
> Adamantius (as previously noted, easily amused)

That is really interesting.  I did not know you could do that with
eggs.  Raw egg yolks?  I'll have to try this.

I cleaned out my storage unit yesterday and found All My Cast Iron
Cookware.  Amongst other stuff. Lord help us.  I'll figure out where to
put it all Very Soon Now.  But it may be time for a session of Calafia
Dutch Oven Cookery Gang at a remote location, viz. Altavia [call it,
three baronies away in SCA terms].

Selene