[Sca-cooks] Silly Season - Birthdays

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Wed Jul 30 06:12:48 PDT 2008

My brother's is the 4th of July (big celebration--Independence Day in the
U.S.), and my sister's is *almost* on St Patrick's Day (mostly silly,
slightly ethnic holiday here).  Mine? *snort* I get Grover Cleveland's
birthday....(one of the more boring of the US Presidents).  When I was a
kid, I was forever jealous of Jim (my bro), because he got the picnic, and
the fireworks, and the homemade ice cream, and mine was just an ordinary
birthday.  In retrospect, though, I really miss what evolved as my dad's
usual present for me, which was an expedition for huckleberry picking.  It
became our thing--they ripen here, end of July/early August, and *only* grow
in the wild, and I've always been a *serious,* kick-ass picker, and he knew
a LOT of good places, from all his years in the Forest Service and as a
timber consultant.
I miss them both, a lot.....
--Maire