[Sca-cooks] Silly season-birthdays

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 30 16:17:05 PDT 2008

Dragon asked:

<<< The thing is, there has been an electronic filing option for a
number
of years now and I really don't understand why more people don't use
it. >>>

Because some of us are cheap. The programs to do the calculations
cost from between $20 to $70 each year. And unless you make under a
certain amount, the electronic filing costs you extra money.

<<< I love being able to do my tax filing on my computer, the program
does all the calculations for me, error checks it, even assesses my
risk for an audit and then I can send everything in with no effort at
all. >>>

Well, although I've used an computer program in some previous years
to figure out my taxes, this year I decided I would have to do that
each year in the future since my return is getting more complicated
with capital gains on mutual funds and self-employment taxes etc.

<<< So the continuing phenomenon of masses of humanity at the post
office
baffles me. >>>

This year I was going to print out the forms using the computer
program and mail them in. But driving downtown to the post office and
putting up with the traffic and the crowds, made me decide to pay the
extra and send it in electronically. Maybe more people would file
electronically if it didn't cost extra money. The government says it
is cheaper for them to process returns electronically, so I don't
think that filing electronically should cost more.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com