[Sca-cooks] Melons in England

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 31 17:42:27 PDT 2008

The Oxford Companion to Food says melons (Cucumis melo) were introduced into
England in the 16th Century where they were grown "under glass bells, in
greenhouses or 'steam-pits.'"

Melons have been cultivated on and off in southern Europe since Roman times
and were certainly reintroduced into the area by the Arabs.  The first
medieval European reference seems to be Albertus Magnus in the 13th Century.

Bear