[Sca-cooks] Just one of those weird little questions...

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Jul 2 05:37:55 PDT 2008

Went looking for this recipe in the new Brears this am and I suspect
that you came across
the Apple Moise recipe given on page 269.
He gives flesh-day and fish-day alternatives to a version that calls for
honey and almond milk.

I went through what Brears lists in the footnotes and looked at what he
cites in Austin and in Hieatt & Butler.
There are in fact various recipes for apple moys that contain
these alternatives spelled out in the original manuscripts.

The Laud MS 553 version for example (found in Austin Two-Fifteenth
Century Cookery-Books) is given as:
Apple moys.—Nym appeles, seth hem, let hem kele, frete hem thorwe an her
syue: cast it on a pot / & on a fless day cast therto goud fat broth of
bef, & white grese, sugur & safron?, & on fissh days almand mylke, &
oille de oliue, & sugur, & safron?: boille hit, messe hit, cast aboue
good poudre, & ?if forth.

I know the special characters are going to give people trouble so
examine the recipe here at:
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=cme;cc=cme;view=toc;idno=CookBk
or
look in the actual text on pages 113-114.

A quick online search through medievalcookery.com shows a few other
examples:

Another version is from *A Noble Boke off Cookry which is late 15th century.

*To mak an appillinose, tak appelles and sethe them and lett them kelle
,then fret them throughe an heryn syff on fisshe dais take almonde mylk
and oile olyf ther to. and on flesshe days tak freche brothe and whit
grece and sugur and put them in a pot and boile it and colour it with
saffron and cast on pouders and serue it.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?nob:248

Doc provides *Thomas Awkbarow's Recipes*
(England, 15th century) on his website

Appylmoes. Recipe & seth appyls, & frete þam throgh a cloth, & do þam in
a pot, & cast þerto almond mylk with gode broth of flesh dayes, & put
þerto gratyd brede & seth it; & put þerto whyte grece on þe flesh day &
on þe fysh day oyle de olyfe, & do þerto sugur, & colour it with
saferon, & strewe þerin gynger, & serof it forth.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?awk:75

This is an excerpt from *Forme of Cury*
(England, 1390)
The original source can be found at the Project Gutenberg website
<http://www.gutenberg.net/>

XVII - FOR TO MAKE APPULMOS. Nym appelyn and seth hem and lat hem kele
and make hem thorw a clothe and on flesch dayes kast therto god fat
breyt of Bef and god wyte grees and sugar and safroun and almande mylk
on fysch dayes oyle de olyve and gode powdres and serve it forthe.

Anyway in this case the versions are there. I suspect that in one of the
dietaries it explains the substitution
of honey for sugar and vice versa.

BTW, We traced 15 recipes under the lemmatized heading "Applemoys" in
the Concordance. That means there are a number of
other recipes for this dish that could be looked at; most of these won't
be online.

Hope this helps

Johnnae